Throughout the quarter of healing, the LITNUM women had many things to say about our class and themselves. Below are some of their memorable quotes:
- Marami akong natututunan, kahit natigil ang aking pag-aaral.
- Natutulungan ko ang mga anak ko sa homework nila. Gusto rin nila akong tulungan sa homework ko.
- Wala pala sa edad ang pag-aaral.
- Nagagamit ko sa trabaho ang natututunan ko.
- Hindi na ako mahihiya pag English speaking kausap ko kasi masasagot ko siya.
- Ang feeling namin ay close kami sa inyo, dahil nakakaupo at nakakatawa tayo ng ganitong nakapalibot lang sa mesa habang nag-aaral.
- Hindi kami nahihiyang magkamali, okay lang manghula.
- Mayroong mga gustong sumali noong kinuwento namin ang aming karanasan.
- Kailangang i-share ang natutunan. Pwede rin pala kami magturo at magshare sa iba.
- Kailangan ayusin ang pamamalakad at pag-ikot ng library para maraming makinabang.
The class also had its share of challenges. Some of the class members could not continue attending because they did not have any fare (“Walang pamasahe.”). One of them had to stop because she fell sick.
There were two other community members who wanted to attend after hearing about our LITNUM sessions, but could not yet join because of work (“labada”) and family obligations.
There was also the continuous adjustment of curriculum, development of lessons, the change in plans and worksheets because of the requests of the LITNUM women. Their requested topics were specific very to themselves as individuals and as a group. The expected level of the class does not qualify as an exact match for LITNUM Module 3, contrary to what the parateachers anticipated during the initial meeting. The LITNUM women had particular levels of capabilities, interests, needs and expectations for study which necessitated planning specifically for them.
Their requests for English lessons were based on interests in specific situations (receiving visitors, for example), and not on parts of speech or sentence construction. We also made adjustments for these.